From:
Angela Marler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 17:33:33 EST
In a message dated 2/7/01 11:53:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Hi all,
 I have a baby in my practice who is getting ready to have 5 dental carries
 repaired under general anesthesia.  His mother called saying the dentist
 said it was caused by nursing all night in the lying down position.  This
 toddler was breastfed for 15 months(now 18 months old) and never had a
 bottle.
 The dentist stated to the mother that all babies should be weaned by 12
 months to help prevent this problem.  Can any of you comment on having seen
 this in your practice or way to handle the dentist's comment?
 Thanks

 Crystal Stearns RNC, MS, IBCLC
 Mercy Memorial Health Center
 Ardmore, OK  73401 >>

:::::coming out of lurkdom::::

I am VERY interested in any comments on this subject too. I have a good
friend who recently had major dental work done on her son (19 months old).
She was told that the ADA says that a child should not nurse for more than 12
months. Is this true? If so, that is very disappointing! She night weaned her
son for fear that she is contributing to her son's dental problems, but knows
that continuing to nurse during the day will not harm his teeth. She is also
very diligent about cleaning his teeth frequently throughout the day. When
the dentist was working on her son's teeth, she told mom that her son has
very thin enamel. Just think what her son's teeth would be like with a bottle
at night! Ugh!

Warmly,
Angela Marler
LLLL in Southern California