From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 20:29:28 -0500
>> Regarding Fentanyl <<
>> Mary Broadfoot in Scotland <<

Fentanyl has been added to epidurals for labor in the US for the past several
years.  It definately has an advantage to give mothers pain relief without
deep nerve blocks that run the complication of severe hypotension.  I can't
recall the need of any infants needing Narcan because thier mothers had
epidurals with Fentanyl while I worked in L&D.  I do believe the studies that
show babies having a problem with bf after epidurals. When I gave a lecture
to some OB/GYN docs on this they were very upset thinking I was banning
epidurals but I pointed out that this is a good pain relief but these moms
and babies may need alot more help because of them.
Mary I would question why every baby needs Narcan unless they truly exibit
symptoms.