Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 17:58:16 EDT
As some people have taken the privilege of trying to reword, classify, or
otherwise assume my feelings/beliefs unsuccessfully, I would like to clarify
them myself.  1) I *do* believe in public breastfeeding (as my original post
stated).  2)  I do not believe breastfeeding in public needs to be indiscrete
in order to be accomplished in most circumstances (though I know there are
always exceptions to every situation). I applaud those who have differing
opinions from mine.  In that many people read these posts, I think it's
important for them to see the many points of view represented by those
working in our field (IMHO).

As for the other views people were mentioning (which I will not even add to
my post for fear of being misquoted), I NEVER implied any of that, nor do I
appreciate my words being associated with such narrow thinking.  Just because
I feel one way about one topic does not mean anyone can possibly know my
feelings on any other (unless of couse you ask me!).  Should I send my 6 year
old out on a kissing expidition to prove that children who kiss other
children are showing a natural loving sign of affection and risk him being
placed in handcuffs and brought into court on charges of sexual harrassment?
Those stories shock and dismay me, but they happen.  There will always be
those who do not understand the beauty of life.  I believe time, education,
and gentle words of wisdom may help.  I don't believe radical behavior to
prove a point will always work.  All of this post again reflects my opinion.
It is not my intention to offend, but only to clarify.

Veronica Scott,
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor