Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 07:52:42 EST
In a message dated 98-03-10 04:00:49 EST,  Jay asks

<< I remember a discussion on re-using a bottle of EBM when the baby has not
 finished the full amount.  Is this an OK thing to do?  I brought this up
 recently at a clinic day and almost everyone there said that it was not OK
 and could possibly harm the baby (bacteria build-up form saliva backwash,
 etc.).  I just don't buy it myself.  My personal opinion is that if the milk
 is used at the next feeding, it should be fine, given the amount of good
 bacteria in the breastmilk. >>

I still want to know how much saliva "backwash" gets into that bottle through
the teeny weeny nipple.  This isn't a straw we are using here, folks.  Kathy A
& I have discussed this, and no one knows!  Point 2:  It's the baby's
bacteria, right?  Point 3: Is there bacterial growth -- how much do the
antibacterial factors (macrophages, etc) contribute to engulfing and
decreasing the amount of bacteria in the milk IF there is salivary backwash
and IF there is a buildup of bacteria?  Point 4:  Is there any evidence
anywhere of a baby being harmed by drinking "left over" EBM?

I think there is a difference in formula, because once the formula is opened,
probably without even anyone's saliva or fingers touching it, the bacteria
starts to grow.  And, of course, there is nothing to inhibit the growth of the
bacteria.  So I don't think that what is good for EBM is good for formula.

I'd truly like to know.  Wasn't someone doing some sort of study on this?

Next time someone has a mom with a baby on gentian violet, have her paint the
baby's mouth, then give the baby a bottle of EBM (or water or something), and
check and see how much purple is in the bottle after taking a few swigs.  If
any.

Jan, who is curious here in freezing cold Wheaton where Winter finally
arrived....