From:
"Shannon Sanford, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:33:48 -0500
Well, while we are on the topic of used breast pumps...
(It is unreal how many of these "certain name brand" pesky little things cross my path in both the hospital and home setting.)

My reply is usually along this line:

#1.  The manufacturer of that pump does not recommend...blah,blah,blah....because...blah, blah, blah....and, No,
        having some new flanges and new tubing will not completely protect your milk from that pump.
#2.  A personal use breastpump is always considered an intimate-use item.
#3.  If you know your friend's (or sister's, or neighbor's, etc) full and complete medical history well enough
       (especially in regard to all communicable disease such as HIV, Hep.B, STD's, etc.), AND you trust that information
       to be completely true and correct, AND, it would not bother you to use any other used intimate item of theirs
       (such as a used toothbrush or underwear), then it may not bother you to expose your baby to milk
       pumped with that pump.  I do not recommend it, nor I would chose to do it.  If you chose to use that pump,
       then I want you to be fully informed of these risks now and not later after an infection might occur.
#4.  Now, let's discuss your breastfeeding goals and discuss when and why you expect that you will need a pump.....

Finally, I document this conversation.

Unfortunately, I cannot make the mom's choice for her.  I can only empower her with enough good information which I hope will guide her to make the best choice available.  If she makes a less-than-best choice while being fully aware of the risks, what other recourse do we have?

Respectfully,
Shannon, RN, IBCLC
www.BasicsforBreastfeeding.com