From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:37:02 -0700
HI ALl,
Jaye Simpson, IBCLC here - lurker most of the time but now posting with a
question:

With all the %^$& from the FDA re: Domperidone, where does that leave us as
Lactation Professionals?  I just recommended domperidone to a mom whose
prolactin levels were 55 at 17 days pp - gee, no wonder her milk supply is
less than 1/2 of what her baby needs (she fell into many of the risk factors
in Lisa Marasco's PCOS worksheet...).  So, what do I tell her now?  Do I
tell her what the FDA is now saying and that I don't agree with them?  Do I
keep my mouth closed?  Do I tell her to stop her order from a local
compounding pharmacy??  Do I call the pharmacy and ask them what they are
going to do?  Talk about frustrating!  I have just found a reasonably priced
compounding pharmacy and finally moms in my area are beginning to give it a
try (with good results, I might add - and not one sudden death among them).
Where does this leave us private practice LC's in regards to protecting
ourselves while still giving the best possible care to our moms who need
domperidone?  I am not and never have been comfortable with reglan...

ugh...what a lot of garbage going around these days...sigh...

Jaye