Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:45:37 -0500
Martha Johnson mentioned Chiropractic/cranial-sacral work for the baby who
is so touch sensitive--arching etc.  I recently worked with a baby who was
screaming anytime he wasn't at the breast, and even there he was very
tense.  He slept fitfully and mom was really suffering with stress and sore
nipples, as he was rough on them.

Relatives and Ped told "first time mom" that babies just cry and she was
making too big a deal out of it.  Even dad who has teen-age children and
considered himself experienced, felt that she was making too much out of it.

We tried all of the usual treatments, and finally she agreed to have my OT
who is trained in Cranial/Sacral work to see the baby.  She has seen him 3
times now and he is a different baby.  He still has his difficult times,
but they are now called "fussy" and he can be calmed with walking or
dancing to soothing music.  He sleeps peacefully and feeds in a relaxed
manner.  He will be continuing with the treatments for a bit longer, but
Mom is ecstatic.  She is so glad that her baby is happy much of the time
and that someone heard her plea that something was wrong.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Upper Midwest USA, where Sisyphus and I are rolling
that old stone up the hill again and again.
mailto:[log in to unmask]