Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:41:06 EDT

Melia,

    My son had ITP at age 3.  It is an autoimmune  disease where the body
loses track of the concept that platelets are good, and  starts killing.  This
child is very lucky because ITP is better than the  two other options-- leukemia
and cancer.  A 9000 platelet level is  exceptionally low, and you need to be
careful about this five year old getting  any injuries, particularly in the
head.  My son wore a helmet until the  levels went back up to an acceptable
level, and we let him put stickers on it to  cheer him up.  We also used to come
up with imaginary games of the  secret missions he was on--so the helmet he
needed for his special assignment  would stay on his head.  Although I am very
aware of how wonderful  breastmilk is, it is questionable whether increasing
this mom's supply will  actually have any effect on the ITP (ideopathic
thrombocytopenic  puerpera).  My son had it 16 years ago, and had already weaned by
then.  He was given an immunoglobulin IV overnight, and  subsequently blood
tested for 2 months, but he  responded immediately.  It is my understanding that
currently they  wait, and most children increase platelet levels on their own,
but if this  child is deteriorating, perhaps more medical intervention is
needed.   Increased breastmilk couldn't hurt, but considering how frequently the
child nurses, mom may not be able to get much of a supply.  The mom needs  to
take a proactive stance with the child's healthcare.  My suggestion  would be
for her to dialogue more with the ped oncologist who is handling  this case,
and if it is just her general practitioner, she needs a ped  oncologist.

Debbie  Albert, RN, Ph.D., LMHC, IBCLC, RLC
Advanced Lactation Care, Inc
Tampa,  FL

In a message dated 4/10/2008 11:09:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,