From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 1997 22:37:55 -0500
Rhoda:

In addition to the sources you already mentioned in your post, I have
another suggestion.  Martha and William Sears are parents of a child with
Down Syndrome.  In "The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your
Baby - From Birth to Age Two," (Little Brown & Company,1993) they discuss
breastfeeding babies with Down Syndrome (pp 181-182) and the special
challenges and rewards of parenting these children (pp 395-400). They are
able to speak from the heart and from real-life experience as parents of 8,
as well as well as from their considerable breastfeeding and professional
backgrounds.  This book is available in most book stores as well as through
the La Leche League catalog.  It emphasizes the benefits of breastfeeding
and attachment-style parenting in this special situation.  I think it would
be helpful to the family anticipating the birth of a baby with Down
Syndrome.

I am way behind on my Lactnet reading, so perhaps someone has already
suggested this.  I'm sure Kathy Dettwyler has some suggestions as well.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL leader in Madison, WI