From:
"Andrea C. Tran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:29:38 -0700
I read Jan's post about the "Pampered Pregnancy" and just had to brag a
bit.

The hospital where I work has a hotel like setting (someone I met who
is pregnant calls it "The Ritz"). But I think in many (not all) areas
we do more than have a pretty setting. The waiting areas for surgery
and imaging have fireplaces and comfy chairs and sofas. The mom/baby
and SCN units are really unique in that we don't have a central
nursery. Most of the mom/baby rooms have a queen size bed so the whole
family can sleep together and while we will take the baby to the nurses
station if mom is in the shower and no one can stay with the baby, the
official line is that baby's are not to be sent to the nurses station
at night. I say "official line" because I know it is not always
followed by the nurses. But the expectation is that the mom takes care
of the baby in her room, all the time.

Our SCN rooms are suites with a private room for baby and attached room
for parents with a queen bed, etc. that they can stay in the entire
time their baby is a patient. This includes babies that weren't born
there, but got transferred later.

It's not perfect - I fight many of the same battles everyone else does.
But it can be done, and I especially like the message that babies
belong with their moms.

Andrea Tran RN, IBCLC
Boulder/Erie, Colorado