Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2010 11:33:25 -0400
Do we have anything more current from the CDC on the matter of breastfeeding and HCV? I have spent an hour perusing their website, and examining my texts and resources, the recommendations vary with no caveat related to integrity of nipple tissue, to discontinue if there is any evidence of bleeding. This seems like an odd disclaimer, seriously we all know that nipple abrasions that cause bleeding can potentially occur at any moment during a feed. The material from the CDC is 12 years old, dated from 1998, we must have something more recent but I can't seem to find it.
It's interesting the response of physicians is so varied, from proceed with no restrictions, to others encouraging discontinue breastfeeding if there is evidence of bleeding from the tissue, to others who discourage any breastfeeding or provision of breastmilk whatsoever!

I think this statement is where the difficulty arrives: (In response to the question if it is safe to BF with cracked bleeding nipples) Data are insufficient to say yes or no. However, HCV is spread by infected blood.

So the CDC statement goes on to declare that the data is insufficient to determine if it is safe or not to bf with cracked, bleeding nipples, and make the recommendation that the mother should discontinue bf, and express and discard her milk until the abrasions are healed. And some physicians are feeling like I mentioned, being that nipples can crack and bleed at any moment during a feed, and since they cannot be assured that this is not a source of transmission, they will discourage any bf.

Gathering from the material I can locate we just don't know....anyone?

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/disease/hepatitis.htm

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)