From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:01:53 +0200
It's fine with me if this gets circulated outside Lactnet.

I have always felt that one of the great charms of BF was the total
simplicity and economy for the vast majority of families.  I liked it that
my children were right next to me, and that there were no transactions
involving a cash register (this was in the days of paper and coin currency,
remember?) between their appetites and the satisfaction thereof.

If this hospital genuinely wants to improve its image and its BF rates, why
not hire some IBCLCs or offer training to ward staff (and a 90 minute
in-service session by an LC would not fill my criteria for training) and
institute a program of REAL support for the women giving birth there?  Why
not take a look at their intervention rates and any policies and procedures
which may be hindering normal mother-baby relationships?  Why not 'sell'
women on the idea that BF is less work, and costs less, than Brand X?  If
any products are to be included in a display directed at new mothers, they
should be informational only, IMO.  This would include info on how to get
preemie clothes for those who need them, but nothing on shells, pumps, and
other accoutrements for special cases.  The need for this would be dealt
with by the LCs who would be easily available to all mothers.

Having a volunteer go around with the cart could easily turn into the
classic 'misuse of technical aids without expert help.'  Would this hospital
consider having a volunteer visit the waiting room of the outpatient clinic
with epidural catheters, IV infusion pumps, and manuals on how to do an
induction of labor, complete with DIY analgesia?

Just my 30 ml worth!
Rachel Myr
(writing now as a midwife on postpartum ward)
Kristiansand, Norway