From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 09:31:46 -0500
> drop of a hat (or less). It was also almost routine that babies would
have,
> at some point during their 3-5 day stays, a major episode of "choking",
> turning blue, stopping breathing and needing "emergency rescusitation"; I
> swear, it happened several times a shift.

A lot   of this was because of the types of anesthesia and drugs given to
the mother in labor.
The drugs inhibited the baby's natural urge to clear their own airways.  I
have a friend who used to ask the babies in the nursery  "Hi honey, does
your mommy know you are out yet?"  We create the problems with birthing
interventions and then cure it with nursery interventions.  10 of my
grandchildren have been delivered by midwives, 12 babies with not one drop
of drugs.  I think it makes a BIG difference.  The latest was born with
epidural and desatted (turned blue) with first bottle and went to NICU for
3 days - need I say any more?  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ