Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:12:41 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Mary Jane asks whether a woman is likely to have trouble on this trip if she takes her galactagogues with her in her checked luggage, except what she needs for the actual travel day which she would want to carry on with her.

The letter from the doctor is probably total overkill for the British side of the trip, if they can be bothered to inspect her luggage at all.  I've never experienced having my luggage tampered with, coming or going, on travel between various points N.America and England, Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, or Castrup in Copenhagen.  Also have never been looked twice at in traveling between Norway and anywhere else, such as Brussels, Paris, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Gothenburg or anywhere else I can think of at the moment.  I'm sure it gets checked on the way out, but apparently I don't look the part of a major smuggler so my bags, along with those of 99% of my fellow passengers, never get checked on the way home either.  

This woman doesn't need to bring her motilium with her if she is traveling to the UK.  Airport pharmacies sell it over the counter (or did so last I checked, 12 mos ago) for travel sickness so she can buy as much as she can carry with her and the UK authorities would hardly be concerned if she had it along.  I can't vouch for how the US authorities would handle it if they searched her or her luggage on her return.  If she is really paranoid about having her motilium confiscated by US customs officials, she should leave home all but what she wants to take while on the plane and just buy more whenever she needs it while abroad.  She can probably purchase more than she needs for her entire stay in the UK before even setting foot outside the airport terminal building.  I've not bought it myself but I don't think the price was exorbitant when I looked at it in 2009.

It sounded like she was traveling with the baby, no?  The only thing she might run into problems with is expressed milk, but not at the UK end.  Fear here is still moderated by the tiniest pinch of horse sense.

Happy travels
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway - where Kjevik, the local (international) airport takes 20 minutes to drive to from my house, another 20 to get checked in at, maybe 25 if you are checking baggage, it's fine to show up 60 minutes before your international flight leaves, and 5 minutes after the plane is in the air you've forgotten you were ever there - the definition of a perfect airport :-)
Kristiansand, Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2