From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 07:59:13 +1000
Thanks Becky for that interesting case history using a niplette. The
warning about it causing nipple stimulation sufficient to induce labour has
me shaking my head. It's the usual warning you see on anything for pregnant
or breastfeeding mothers - wow wouldn't it be great if we could do away
with all those horrible drugs used to induce labour by simply using a
niplette! As with all the medications that warn breastfeeding mothers not
to take them without any evidence of detrimental action, and hence risking
the breastfeeding relationship, we need to do a risk/benefit analysis - and
if that's the only 'risk' then it seems an insignificant one to me,
particularly when an outcome such as Becky reports could result.
I'm not necessarily promoting the niplette - I've only seen it used once -
and I think it should be studied carefully in pregnant women particularly
in view of the suggestion made by Gronneke that excess vacuum could cause
damage. If this is possible then it is a problem.
I'm just suggesting we apply the 'pinch of common sense' test to what is
written and acknowledge that the risk of losing breastfeeding has massive
detrimental effects compared to ..... [insert whatever derriere-covering
statement a manufacturer uses].

Denise

Denise Fisher
Health e-Learning