From:
Julie Jarvis RPA-C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 10:26:37 -0500
Hi:
Seems to be at least a few of you who are feeling like you are fighting
a losing battle.  This isn't a breastfeeding story, exactly.  My mom
(who, by the way, breastfed 7 kids when none of her friends did in the
1960's and 1970's) likes to send me little inspirational clippings along
with letters.  This one happened to arrive in the mail on a particularly
bad day for me:
    THE STARFISH:
    The woman sat quietly on the porch of her bungalow musing over all
that was bad in the world.  The inability to be of any help overcame
her.  She decided to walk along the shore to forget her woes.
    Far ahead on the beach she could see a young girl whirling and
dancing. "How delightful it would be to feel so unburdened, so free,"
she thought to herself.
    As she drew closer to the girl, she noticed that part of her dance
was to gather things from the beach and to throw them into the sea.
    When the two met, the woman saw that the objects being thrown back
from whence they came were starfish.  The woman asked the girl if she
would kindly tell her what she was doing.
"I am throwing starfish into the sea to save them."  Irritated by the
reply, she asked, "Don't you feel as if you are wasting time . . . how
can you possibly make a difference?  There are miles and miles of beach
ahead and thousands of starfish."  The girl picked up another starfish
and tossed it over the breaking waves.  She danced back to the woman and
said, "It made a difference to that one."
    And so it is that in the seemingly smallest acts of kindness we find
the noblest measure of our own humanity. . . ordinary people doing
extraordinary things to better the lives of those around them. . . one
starfish at a time.               -----Author Unknown----

Thought everyone might like the above story--- Hope no one thinks it was
to far "off topic."

Julie Jarvis, RPA-C   From Leoti, Kansas, midwest USA
mailto [log in to unmask]