From:
Barbara Berges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 10:43:41 -0500
Differences between people of the same culture can be as numerous as
differences between people of different cultures.  It does not help a lot to
learn about the beliefs and behaviors of "X" ethnic group because that just
carries over prejudices, stereotypes, and labeling.  What we need to do is
become more aware of what our OWN individual cultural beliefs are.

We belong to a culture.  It dictates behaviors, beliefs, attitudes, genders
feelings, and colors our judgment of other people and groups.  When we start
to recognize what our influences are, then we can be more open to accepting
the beliefs and behaviors of others.  This sounds easy, but because our
cultural beliefs are so much a part of us, they are hard to see.  We don't
think that we have a "culture", what we do and believe is "just the way
things are supposed to be".

An example - My cultural group more often wants to BF all day, and let
someone else be able to give a bottle at night.  That, then, is what I
expect when I hear that a mom wants to combine BF and bottle feeding.  But
in my hospital, I see some women who want to BF all night, but give bottles
during the day.  What are the different motivations in these women?  How do
I help them when most of my preplanned teaching is aimed at helping moms see
the advantages of nighttime BF?  What daytime stressors do they face if they
BF that I am not aware of?  (This may be a poor example.  I, too, struggle
with this issue and so have trouble coming up with an example.)

Asking respectful questions, being open-minded about the responses,
displaying a willingness to learn from each other, and showing a caring
attitude will help you to get to know the cultural beliefs of the INDIVIDUAL
mom you are working with.  That will take you much further than studying the
BF cultural of different groups of people.

Barb Berges BS, RN, IBCLC
Rochester, New York