From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:19:34 -0500
From the time my children were very small, we've had a family tradition that
I re-tell their birth stories on their birthdays. Now they are all in their
twenties, and they all know the stories off by heart - how the labour
started, where I walked as the contractions got stronger, who was with me
providing support, the funny parts, the parts where I yelled, and most
importantly the part about how truly wonderful it felt when they were born
and how happy everyone was.

We need to keep telling our stories. That's how mothers continued to believe
that breastfeeding was possible when hardly anyone was doing it - because
the women who were breastfeeding shared their experiences and stories with
other new mothers. We need to talk about birth with young children (male and
female) in our everyday conversations, and with teens, and with pregnant
women, too. It is hard to get a new view of birth when you are pregnant, but
not impossible.

Teresa Pitman