Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:14:02 +0000
>The bottom line is whether the baby is thriving.
>For most babies, I'd guestimate over 95 per cent, that is accomplished by
>watching the baby and weighing it very occasionally.
>Ought not the others to be in such intensive care settings that guestimating
>is irrelevant?

I agree - 'guessing' how much a compromised or sick baby might be
getting may not be good enough.

>Will someone who knows please list the indications for exact recording of
>baby's intake of milk, as well as some information about how long such
>recording normally is necessary, particularly for babies at home?  I work
>mainly with well babies and feel my knowledge is lacking here.
>
>sincerely
>Rachel Myr
>Kristiansand, Norway

I do think the whole issue is interesting, nevertheless,  from a
research point of view rather than a therapeutic one. For instance,
the Woolridge et al work showing how variable intake/calories/time
can be depended on some form of accurate (not guessing) assessment,
and perversely, papers of that time show just how pointless test
weighing and timing can be.

Still interested in any response to my post about Deuterium Kinetics
as a way of measuring intake, BTW.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK