From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 10:06:15 +0300
I had always understood from research that the longer a woman breastfeeds in
her life the lower the risk of breast cancer - in the same way as pregnancy
and lactation reduce the number of menstruations in a woman`s life which is
also thought to reduce the risk of breast cancer.
The problem that brings breastfeeding and cancer into the spotlight is that
early breast changes can be masked by the normal changes during lactation.
There are tragic cases of women consulting doctors when they note suspicious
symptoms and being told that they have blocked milk ducts or other "normal"
changes and by the time that misdiagnosis has been corrected, the cancer is
more advanced.
But it is time updated studies were done to show as we believe that in
general breastfeeding reduces the risk.
When I go for a mammography I answer a questionnaire about general health
issues and family history and nowhere is there a question about the duration
of breastfeeding.
May we all be healthy
Wendy Blumfield NCT ANT Tutor/BFC
Israel Childbirth Education Centre