From:
Chao-Huei Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:01:34 +0800
Dear Lactnetter:

Yesterday a mother made a long distance call to me. She was still
breastfeeding her 10 months old girl. A crack between the nipple and aveloa
was noted since the early month of breastfeeding. She had visited one
dermatologist and eczema was told. She had also visited the local leader of
LLLI who told her that it might be caused by Candidiasis. Her baby did not
had any oral thrush or diaper rash. Topic antifungus drug had been tried
without any improvement. Topical steroid was prescribed by the
dermatologist. And the symptoms seemed improved, but recurred frequently.
She was wondering that if she should stop breastfeeding.  There was no
definit redness around nipple, but it did hurt during the feeding.

I had seen some nipple crack during the early months of feeding which all
improved after the changing of feeding position. But I really have no idea
about the condition of this mother. Any opion will be very appreciated.

Chao-Huei
Chen Chao-Huei, M.D. <[log in to unmask]>
Department of Pediatrics. Taichung Veterans General Hospital
Taichung 407, Taiwan, Fax 886-4-3591498,