From:
Sue Menegay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:18:59 -0400
Laurie,
This is our 1st yr doing this big a celebration, but I'm new to this
hospital ( 15 months) and wanted to express our gratitude to the nurses for
all they (well, most of them) do to facilitate brfd.
We just sent in our 3rd letter of Intent w/ Baby-friendly, so I guess I'm
trying to smooze them into co-operating. Hey, it works for the (ABM)
companies we all know.

We contacted our pump suppliers and both those companies sent some goodies
for the patients and some great badge holders for RN's. They say "From
birth to breast"  You may have seen them. They sent about 100.

 Also for the patients, some cute magnet picture frames that say "Babies
are born to breastfeed". Some EBM Storage Guideline Magnets. One supplier
donated a Double Electric breastpump in carry case and two hand pumps in a
cute little tote bag. I had some Breastfeeding Diaries I got from some
supplier a yr ago, so will give those too. WE will have a drawing at the
end of the week. All brfd mom's that deliver that week will go into a box,
the Breastpump being the grand prize.

Also contacted several merchants in the area for any donations and recieved
several gift certificates, mostly for $25.00 ea. for either meals in
resturants or Merchandise. ALso got a big golf course to donate 2 rounds of
golf, (not cheap here in Fla), got 2 tickets for a day on a Fishing Drift
Boat, and today someone donated a one hour massage.

We asked and recieved food for the RN's, from 4 area resturants, 2 are hand-
made ice cream stores and are sending cakes, one is sending dessert trays
and one is working on sandwichs. All for both am and pm shifts. I am
donating bagels and coffee for both shifts one day.  So we have something
everyday.

We had a small budget allowance for decorations, paper goods and misc. and
the OB Director said they'd pay for treating both shifts to Chinese Food
one day. Our auxillary gave a gift certificate to the hospital gift shop.
They were very happy to be involved.

We have a small easy test for the staff to take and sign their names and
put it into a drawing for the above mentions gifts.  In all there will be
about 20 gifts for the RN's.  We are considering two other little contests.
One "Tell me something we don't know about breastfeeding". and the other is
guessing what famous people either were or did breastfeed.  i.e. Jimmy
Carter was, Billy Carter was not....true or false?  (True by the way). Can
I mention names? ooops.

Oh, printed up some cute certificates for each OB Staff member and OB Doc's
and/ Midwives, A "Certificate of Appreciation"  for promoting and
supporting breastfeeding... just bought some certificate paper at the
office supply store and did them at work. One of the secretaries does
caligraphy and wrote everyones name on.  (about 100) :)

ALso made certificates of Congrats to the moms for "giving the gift of love
that lasts a lifetime".

 Hospital has a bulletin board that's decorated for WBW showing mom's from
all over the world breastfeeding and we have a huge banner they put up at
the entrance of Maternal Child for the whole month. We've had that tho.

So that's our week. Didn't cost much and I really can't take too much
credit for the work, cus I enlisted a very helpful and talented OB
Secretary into coming in extra, (paid) 4 hours a week for the past 3 weeks
to work on all this for me....We are too busy seeing patients to do all
this running around and phonecalling.

Be happy to email you any specific info. You may have some of the same
merchants in your area.  We moved our week to Aug 8th to 14th cus I have a
minor surgery on the 3rd....If you need more time, that's an idea.
Well, gotta get to bed, hope this helps in some way.

Sue Menegay RNC, IBCLC
Martin Memorial
Stuart, Florida