From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:23:00 +1100
Hi Morgan,
It's not under maternity protection per se (which as you note is not great
in Australia in terms of availability of paid maternity leave) but is it is
considered sex discrimination to refuse service or to ask someone to leave a
place because they are breastfeeding because breastfeeding is something that
women do. It's thought of in just the same as if someone was to ask someone
of a of a particular race or sexual orientation to leave (or change their
appearance).
I really hear what you say about child's rights but in Australia our society
is so child-hostile that it is way easier to get mileage on breastfeeding as
a women's rights issue.
Karleen Gribble
Australia