From:
Hotheaded Red <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 17:36:13 -0500
Hi all. Wow. I resub today, and I already need answers to two separate
questions.  This is a local mom who i have dealt with thru LLL meetings
and she emailed me today. (She can't ge thru on my telephone since i am
perpetually online!)

I am not even close to an expert in the area of dental health.  From
speaking with her, she also had very bad teeth as a child.  She is a
vegetarian, as is her child.  I have explained that i have seen research
on caffein in mom's diet and subsequent caries in exclusively breastfed
babies, but that the nursing itself is unlikely the cause of the problem
with her daughter.  In fact, I cannot be sure this is even a case of
dental decay- could it be a congenital flaw in the enamel or something
similar?

Any of the pedi dentists who can shed some light, I would be very
thankful!

I have suggested she make a dental visit, but she feels (from hearing
horror stories of the local dentist) they will in some way restrain her 22
month old.  She is quite scared (and I don't blame her.)

So anyways, thanks for any info i can share with her that may ease her
concerns!

Heidi Murphy
Peer Counselor, BSN Student