Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 17:45:24 +0100
>Hi all,
>
>I have a mom who is trying so very hard to breastfeed her baby. The baby
>latches very well. He is 3 weeks old. His birth weight was 7lbs 13oz. He
>dropped to 7 lbs at 4 days old, but regained to 7lbs 8oz and has not gone up
>since. Baby looked scrawny to me, but not worried or terribly upset. Mom had
>been timing feedings, and switching to the opposite breast after 10 minutes.

Some ideas :

Maybe some of these weights are innaccurate.

Maybe she doesn't feed him very often, or at night - if she is timing
the feeds, maybe she is scheduling them, too, or giving water at
night, or simply not feeding the baby at night.

Maybe the test weights you did were not a typical feed.

Or maybe this baby is normal.

The frequent stooling can be normal (she can be assured she doesn't
need to change him mid-feed - let alone 3 times!). The feeding
behaviour sounds normal (though she is curtailing it unnecessarily) .
Maybe his weight is plataeuing, and that's unusual but not
necessarily pathological in an otherwise healthy baby. You said he
looked scrawny, and that's not good, but maybe he will pick up next
week.

If he  hadn't been weighed since he was 7 lbs 8 oz, would anyone have
been worried about him?

I do think all mothers need to be aware that babies should not be
timed or scheduled,  though.

HTH

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc,  tutor