From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 19:21:52 PDT
Hello all,
I am just wondering: If biblical instruction is "the woman who had given
birth to a male child was to be considered unclean for a period of 40
days following the delivery.  For the woman who gave birth to a girl the
period of uncleanliness was 80 days" and all that this would involve
(not cooking, etc)- do people nowadays follow this (DO THEY?); then WHY
do they feel compelled to follow what Ezzo mandates????
I am certainly not trying to stir up a religious debate, but surely
there are passages in the Bible that, taken individually, could be used
to mandate any number of behaviors.
For an example, I interpret "Spare the rod and spoil the child" (this is
biblical, no?) to mean:
"Spare the rod. Spoil the child." In other words "Parents, do not spank
your children. Instead spoil them immensely."
Laurie

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Louisiana Breastfeeding MediaWatch Campaign
Violet Louisiana, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]