From:
Jeanne Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:06:40 -0500
Two issues related to the anthropology of bf:

I lived in Guatemala for 5 years when my daughter was born.  I remember
traveling to a pretty remote village on the coast and visiting with the
women there.  They told me that boy babies always eat from the right breast
and girl babies always eat from the left. (I honestly can't remember which
gender preferred which side.)  I asked if they ever tried to put a boy baby
on the left and they all chuckled and said they had, but he would refuse.
They told me the same would happen with girls on the right breast.  They
said it wasn't a problem unless the mother had 6 boys or 6 girls!

So, I know of one village in Guatemala, that I would never be able to find
or identify again, where boys only bf on the right and girls only bf on the
left, and every mother in the village with verify that it's true.

And to Jacqui, I've never heard of the foremilk having so many more
antibodies than hindmilk, we need to be sure the newborn gets both breasts.
I think it's someone extrapolating that if the hindmilk has more fat, it
must have less of something else.  Personally, I'd want my newborn to have a
full compliment of whatever he needs, and not "artificially" fill him up on
foremilk.

And I'm fascinated by your report of different milk in baby's breast and
toddler's breast.  I would definately like to see that published somehow
somewhere, even if it's in Mothering Magazine!
Jeanne Mitchell
Austin, TX