From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 21:49:30 -0700
I am sure some of you are insulted by me using a stroller. I certainly want
to encourage
moms to use the sling most of the time as long as possible. Just curious as
to what you have to say.

Denise,

First of all, do not let anyone chew you out for using a stroller if that is
what works for you and your babies.  If you all are happy and the babies are
safe, that is what important.  Different things work for different people.

As for using slings, they can be quite convenient, especially with two
children.  My three are 26 months apart and back in the days when we only
had two, we traveled a bit.  The airports would have been awful for us
without using two slings.  Baby #1 was about 28 pounds and #2 was 23 pounds
at 6 months.  Baby #1 was put in the sling with his legs spread over one
hip.  The sling #2 was placed over the other shoulder where the infant could
be placed either upright or in a cradle hold.  This left me able to carry a
diaper bag as well through the airport.  (Dad got to take care of all of the
luggage.)

This was not a solution for more than an hour or two at a time because 1)
two were VERY heavy and 2) the toddler would want to run after a while.
When the older got tired of being slung I would use the sling like a leash.
Not necessarily pretty, but it worked.

Sometimes, I would back-carry the older and put the younger in front.  There
are lots of solutions but not all will work with all moms.  If you can go to
an LLLI conference, you will see about the widest variety of sling-styles
that you could imagine!  (The LLLI conferences usually have continuing
education credits for physicians as a bonus!)

Linda Pohl, IBCLC
Phoenix AZ