From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 07:57:33 GMT
Susan, you say:

>I agree that direct breastfeeding is best...however: What about moms who
choose to work?  I was taught a long time ago that before returning to work
a woman should get a "running start" on her supply so she can relax that
first week back or so. I know most moms have too much milk at first...and
that babies "catch up" with supply around two weeks (usually.) For a mom
that is returning to work...storing this milk is good insurance that she
will not need ABM.

My goal is "As much milk as possible for as long as possible!"<

In the UK, women often don't go back to work until the baby is between four to
six months old, so the idea of adding pumping milk to the other tasks of
becoming a mother -- one of the most challenging transitions a woman is called
upon to make in her life -- seems out of place.

The use of the word 'should' makes me uneasy.  It may be that pumping from this
early stage is helpful (depends when the women are going back to work) -- and
worth the sacrifice of that early period of establishing breastfeeding in the
'other time' which has been described.  But isn't this something that each woman
needs to decide for herself?  After all, *not* everyone may share your goal of
'as much milk as possible for as long as possible' and be willing to give less
milk in an unstructured breastfeeding relationship -- and enjoy that more
thoroughly.

The biomedical construction of breast milk feeding focusses on the product.  A
different model is one centred around the relationship, and the
bio-psychological-spiritual interaction of mother and baby through the medium of
breastfeeding.  These models intersect, but also have areas where they don't
overlap.  Its a tension for women and for those of us working with women around
breastfeeding issues.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK