From:
Ilene Fabisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 1996 20:22:39 +0000
Well, I'm back on Lactnet after a very long absence.  I really can only handle LLLOL
as far as volume goes but I find I need the expertise of an LC occassionally.  It
seems I'm getting my share of difficult cases recently.  First I had a mom with
"burning/stabbing pains in her breast when nursing her 2 wk old daughter and
inbetween nursings then I got a call from a mom with a 19 day old baby born
prematurely has never been at the breast (mom has been pumping but not often
enough) is currently refusing the breast but mom REALLY wants to nurse.  She asked
specifically about breast sheilds as her mom and cousin and sister says they are
"wonderful"!  These two cases to deal with and I just started working at WIC this
week!  Sheesh, when it rains it pours.  Anyway I thought I would turn to you wise
ladies to make sure I was heading in the right direction.   The first case is in the
hands of a Dr. who practices homeopathy and she seems to be dealing with whatever
it is.  Right now looks like it might be vasoconstriction (stabbing pains and white
nipple) but there might have been thrush also.  She took Diflucan prescribed by Dr.
after my mentioning it might be a possible yeast cure.  But I really don't feel
comfortable about her use of it.  I mentioned it as something I heard about here but
I don't think Dr. used correct dosage.  Does anyone have any info on the use of
Diflucan.  She also used it without any obvious signs of thrush other than breast
pain and it was used by itself instead of in conjunction with Nystatin.  She is
currently trying a remedy for the vasoconstriction so we'll see....
The new mom with premie is my next challenge.  The dad came to pick up the SNS I
recommended, boy was he pro-bfing!  Was very angry that hospital gave bottles and
didn't tell them about an SNS type system.  I hope it works out for them but I have a
feeling the dad is more into the bfing than the mom.  Both seem very educated and
willing to put forth some commitment.  I recommended they speak to an LC that
could spend more time with them than I could.  I also told them about dropper
feeding and cup feeding and finger feeding as alternatives to the rubber nipple of
the bottle the baby seems so attached to but they really need someone to show
them and spend the time with them and train the baby.  I'll call them again
tomorrow to see how they are doing.  Any suggestions?
Actively back again, Ilene