From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:26:44 PST
Karleen muses <<The comparisons between OTs and LCs about the level of
education required by the two groups and the suggestion that to be
recognised LCs need to go the same way made me wonder if it might be
throwing the baby out with the bathwater. How many of the IBCLCs on this
list became interested in breastfeeding after the birth of children?>>
Karleen I think it comes down to what is your/our definition of lactation
consultant. I see it as a health care professional who can assist with
SPECIAL bf situations. I think someone else asks "do you enable lactation or
support breastfeeding?" - I think I do both. But even though in my current
job I see ALL the bf dyads, and support and encourage the normal ones and
try to change the hosp culture to baby friendly, I think my most important
job there is to be able to assist the ones with PROBLEMS, the "not normal"
bf dyads. Gretchen says "If the LC field became so restrictive as to allow
only those who entered via the professional medical field, I think we would
lose some potentially wonderful practitioners who could add so much from
their various perspectives." I agree. I don't think the LC needs to enter
via the RN or OT or RD pathway, but I do think the Lc needs to have its own
university program. I don't think you need a college degree to be a bf
supporter, advocate, peer counselor, but I do think you need one to be a
CONSULTANT. Now I have said a few years back that I never did like that
term. It sounds like I'm an accountant or something. I suggested the term
lacation therapist [LT] and I still like that better, or what about
lactation practitioner?

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA