From:
"Sara D. Furr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 23:41:22 -0500
Jessica, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics the "Reported Sign
or Symptom in Infant or Effect on Lactation" for prednisone is "NONE."  (See
table at http://www.aap.org/policy/00026t6.htm ).  And Hale's indicates
Zyrtec is safe also.  Could this mother perhaps talk to her pediatrician to
request information on the safety of these drugs while breastfeeding?  This
strategy has worked for me in the past when I have received calls from
mothers who are told by their primary care physician to WEAN or BE SICK (the
mother, that is).

I know my pediatrician keeps a current copy of Hale's and perhaps this
mother would be empowered to take the medication she needs if she can be
reassured by her baby's doctor that the medication is safe.  Another
alternative is to have the mother call a pharmacist since many pharmacists
are well informed about the effects of a particular drug, beyond the package
insert.  Is there a breastfeeding friendly hospital in your area?  My guess
is that the pharmacy of that hospital would have access to Hale's or perhaps
"Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation" by Gerald G. Briggs, B Pharm, Roger K.
Freeman, MD and Sumner J. Yaffe, MD.

Good luck with this mom.

Take care,
Sara Dodder Furr, MA, breastfeeding advocate in Lincoln, Nebraska
(and breastfeeder of Nora, age 4 months)