From:
Jennie Elmaleh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:05:44 -0400
I would like to share my experience with pacifier use- my first three sons
nursed relatively short amounts of times (averge 3 months) because of
classic problems that didn't know where to find solutions. My daughter, #4,
was born with a mom that had read "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from
cover to cover several times during the pregnancy, and we both benefited
from that of course . The only thing that I felt difficulty in refraining
from was use of a pacifier. I used it with her, and we nursed freely and
wonderfully until age 2yrs and 10 months, when I was far along into #5's
pregnancy. She told me "Mommy I am big now and I don't want tis-tsi
anymore"- but to this day, (4 yrs old  last June)  her pacifier is dear to
her, I don't see the end in sight, and don't push the topic. I suggest
limitations, like only in bed etc. A happy, friendly, well adjusted girl,
she justs sucks away like there is no tomorrow. So there is one end of the
spectrum. My boys, who nursed so little, were finished with the pacifier at
about age 2 maximum (with gentle encouragment but no pressure from me). Now
# 5, born small for gestational age at 37 weeks, 2100g, didn't get a
pacifier at all so as not to waste precious calories, and when I offered,
he refused. This is  new experience for me, no pacifier at all- I wonder if
he will nurse for a longer period of time? Well I'm game, no problem.
 Of course I get the remarks of "Look how dependent he is on you....At
least if he had a pacifier you could leave him...BUT I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE
HIM!!(shouting from the heart)
Jennie in Israel, where September 1 means children back to school.