From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:52:47 EST
Pat Gima states:
...unless the mother has a serious over-supply.  I have had a couple of
clients lately who were encouraged for their 10-12 ounce per pumping 8 times a
day.  Then when baby goes to the breast she gets a tummy full of fore milk and
suffers until the supply reaches a one-baby-sized milk supply.

Pat, I am so glad to hear that you also address the foremilk/hindmilk
imbalance issue!  I see this quite often!  Mom pumps to maintain her milk supply, or
moms who've had 1-2 babies previously and so their bodies "naturally" produces
milk, and no one ever addresses the foremilk/hindmilk issues.  Symptoms are
portrayed as a baby who's irritable, never satisfied with breastfeedings, and
many times these babies still have yellow-seedy stools, because luckily the
issues are being addressed before the stools change to green.  But, moms are
often told to eliminate dairy from their diets or they supplement and these babies
proceed to then either vomit-up the bottlefeeding because they're overfed, or
they sleep it off for 4-5 hours because they've been stuffed!

I wish I could intervene for more moms who present with these issues because
I believe many of them get so frustrated that they just quit.  Yet, the
problem is an easy fix if done right, and these babies become content and easy-going
breastfeeding babies, despite dairy in mom's diet.  I wish more moms were
steered for professional lactation assistance rather than offered the eliminate
dairy and/or supplement solutions that I often encounter.
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL  - where I'm dreaming that someday the profession of
lactation consultants will truly become a member of the health care team and be
referred to appropriately....