From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:12:44 -0700
When Amy originally posted, she was (I believe) trying to understand the
source of tension between the new lactation educators and the IBCLCs, *the
latter of whom had originally supported the training.*  Not being cognizant
of all the controversy, she was looking for input on how valid the concerns
were.

One thing that has not been addressed yet is the "why?" of the change of
heart with the IBCLCs. I want to believe that there is a valid reason for
them to have changed their stance, but that can only be determined by
dialogue.

The real issue that needs to be discussed is what the level of training of
the new counselors is, and what they are and are not qualified to tackle. I
share the concerns of many other consultants that some people do not
recognize their limitations, and that level of preparation varies by
program. There *are* programs that tell their participants that they can now
do more than I would be comfortable with; how do we communicate limitations
without crushing budding enthusiasm? I teach for another program (5 day plus
homework), and it is emphasized that students are "qualified" to teach
breastfeeding education and do basic routine latch and lactation support
when they have completed the entire program (3 mos+). It is understood that
they are not consultants, and that they are not "certified." Unfortunately,
we too lose some potential students to programs that issue their own
certifications.

I remember being on the other side of the fence, most especially as an LLL
Leader, and wanting to be seen for my actual skills, not perceived.
Therefore, on the IBCLC side, I want to support and nurture budding
educators/counselors, not compete with them. At the same time, they
hopefully will not try to be more than their training and experience qualify
them for. Clear expectations laid out in advance, to the degree that this
can happen, can help smooth out these kinds of troubles. In my own
experience, cultivating relationships with educators/counselors does a lot
to prevent conflict. If they feel respected by me, they also feel free to
say "I'm in over my head." Thus, I tend to trust them, not distrust them.

On a personal note: I do wish that all training programs would cease issuing
certifications or anything else that can be misleading. We have talked about
the confusion for parents, but as is happening with Amy's colleagues, there
is also unnecessary confusion between IBCLCs and those who are coming up the
training ladder. Programs that claim to qualify participants for more than
is reasonable for their level of experience (which I realize is also subject
to differing opinion) contribute to the conflict that many are experiencing.

Lisa Marasco LLL, MA, IBCLC