From:
Brandi Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:01:04 -0500
Hello everyone,

I know what your first reaction will be to this post. I'm sure many are thinking
supplements of any type are not neccessary. I mostly agree. However, I need
some advice and evidence for back up. I work in a hospital setting. I work with
mother's and baby's immediatly after delivery through discharge. Of coarse I
have in policy supplements are only to be given when medically indicated or at
mother's request... All nurse are continually informed that if supplements are
at mothers request to discuss the dangers of supplements and chart the
patient education. My question is... would glucose water or sterile water be
more breastfeeding friendly than infant formula for the situation where mom is
overwhelmed and demanding supplementation (usually around 2am). Also, for
infants that are hypoglycemic and will not latch, wouldn't glucose water be
better than formula? I need evidence to take to the PEDS. My thinking is most
of the supplementation usually ends up just being for a mother's peace of mind
with a syringe. It just seems with all the issues we have with infant formula,
why would formula be the first choice. Does anyone have a policy I could take
a look at related to the use of sterile water or glucose water supplements for
the breastfeeding infant? Please don't take this post as someone looking to
introduce supplements on a routine basis. I unfortunately work in a setting
where most patients end up doing some type of supplementation until there
milk comes in despite education. I am just trying to make the best of a ugly
situation. I am working tierlessly with the nursing staff to STOP the
supplementation suggestions.

Thank you! Brandi Thomas RN, IBCLC