From:
CATHY BASTIAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 07:15:51 -0500
I have frequently found that the M...Classic works much better than the
Lactina of any type...If portability is key to a mother, then they may
need to use a Lactina or PNS, understanding that the Classic may truly
be the best choice.  For Premie infants and others just out of the
hospital experiencing problems, I try to have the mom use a Classic
whenever possible.  The Breastfeeding Answer Book has a good discussion
of pumps.  I have had some moms do fine with a N-3 pump, but some who
after the baby is over 6 months and on solids, have a problem with milk
supply when back at work and pumping a few times per day.  Have
occasionally had the same problem with the PNS.

Now that prices are changing, I will be reminding moms that a rental or
purchase of a good pump is always going to be more healthful and cheaper
than the alternative of ABM.   Regards... Cathy Bastian, RD, IBCLC