Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 16:44:53 EST
I am working with a mother who is experiencing a strong feeling of extreme
depression at letdown.  It lasts only a few minutes and then goes away.  She
says it doesn't happen every time, but most of the time.  It is worse when
she is under stress, and then it always happens.  She feels extreme anger and
sadness for a few minutes only.  Her mother, who nursed her five children,
also reports having had this problem.  The new mother is very committed to
breastfeeding, with the strong support of her mother, but this is very
upsetting to her.  She is nursing baby number two now and still having the
same trouble.  I have checked the archives and our main bf texts, but have
found nothing about depression like this.  Any thoughts?  I don't get to read
all the posts, so please e-mail me privately.  Please post to the list also
so that it can get into the archives.

Katy Lebbing, IBCLC
Private Practice
Villa Park, IL