From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 09:50:42 -0400
I subscribe to google's news alert system to keep up to date with
breastfeeding related news. I am becoming increasingly concerned about
the frequency of anti-breastfeeding, pro-AIM articles from one
particular source,  Tech Central Station. Hardly a day passes when I
do not receive yet another diatribe from this organization, which
describes itself as the place *Where free markets meet technology.*

Here is a quote from their latest piece. Note how they completely
ignore the latest formula problems in China and Israel that directly
led to the DEATH of many babies.

If Wishes Were Horses, This Would Be the Kentucky Derby
http://www.techcentralstation.com/051705F.html

>Perhaps the most bizarre agenda item at this World Health Assembly is
a proposal to require prominent warnings that pathogenic
microorganisms are present in infant formula. Yes, infant formula.

The supporters of such labeling claim that the use of infant formula
can lead to malnutrition and respiratory infections leading to death
-- which is, of course sheer nonsense. These attacks are
scientifically unfounded and misguided; similar to other food
products, infant formula manufacturers must assure that it is neither
adulterated nor misbranded. In plain English, the product may not be
harmful or labeled inaccurately. But like the tomatoes, potatoes,
yogurt and milk we buy at the supermarket, preparations of formula are
"clean" but not sterile. They may contain harmless microorganisms (as
does the air we breathe), while by contrast, drugs like injectable
vaccines and intravenous fluids are completely sterile.

The infant formula initiative is the opening salvo in an ideological
campaign to smear a safe and useful product. If the activists are
successful at banning or severely restricting it, the consequences
could be dire.<

norma