From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 11:25:40 +0800
I agree with Linda Smith, that the sooner we stop talking about 'football
hold' the better. Here in Australia we have yet another type of football,
Aussie Rules, and the ball is not held in this position at all. (If it was,
the player would be penalised.) I suppose 'clutch hold' is a possibility,
but this is one which was used in the IBLCE exam when I sat it and at the
time I had never heard of it and didn't know what it meant, even after all
those years of counselling mothers.

I favour either 'underarm hold' or 'side hold', or something like this that
is more descriptive for the mother. What do others think we should call it?
Sometimes it is called 'twin style' here, but I don't know if that's any
better than 'football' as these mothers usually don't have twins!

Joy Anderson IBCLC, NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia