From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 15:03:12 -0600
Yes, I knew "Good Start" was their brand name.  What I thought interesting
was the addition of - "will last a lifetime"

I think North America has accepted that breastfeeding is "sort of" better -
maybe easy for babies to digest, babies less ill.

I don't think the general North American market knows much about "lifelong"
health effects of infant feeding - ie diabetes, obesity, leukemia,
intelligence, visual acuity, formation of oral cavity, etc.

But, I think the market IS becoming slightly more aware of these long-term,
irreversible effects of infant feeding, because of the educating that the
formula co's are currently doing around the DHA additives in formula.   I
think this is why Nestle added this phrase in its slogan.

We could and should do market research ourselves.  However, I think we can
learn alot about our market, and how to market to them, through studying the
strategies of the competition.  You can be sure they are not just coming up
with nifty slogans while sitting in their offices.  They would have done
many focus groups and intesive interviews to decide their strategy.

Janice Reynolds