Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 10:51:52 -0500
One more thought on clicking tongue.  One often thinks about thrush with a
clicking tongue (itchy palate).  I know you said that the mother's nipples
aren't sore, but she might want to keep an eye on baby's mouth and diaper
area.  I worked with a mom whose baby grew very fussy and wasn't feeding as
well as he had.  He also began clicking.  We looked at diet and position,
etc.  One day he was crying hard and she looked into his mouth.  It was
thick with yeast overgrowth, "gloppy" she said.

She had experienced *no* nipple soreness or breast pain.  Go figure!

With an antifungal, and the other complementary treatments, he was quickly
fine.  Mom did the other treatments, but not an antifungal.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee

mailto:[log in to unmask]