Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 13:49:07 +0000
I think one source of good refs for this would be all the work on
self-regulated breastfeeding, or unrestricted breastfeeding.

If you try to bf a baby and restrict the times of the feeds and the length
of the time at the breast, you are more likely to make that baby unhappy.
Breastfeeding may well be relevant to the health and therefore well-being,
and therefore 'mood',  of the baby, but *how* you do it is also going to
make a difference to crying.

I think it would be quite difficult to do a comparison between bottlefeds
and breastfeds for crying...in fact the last study I read on 'colic'
indicated that bf mothers were more likely to report it than bottle feeding
mothers. This was, however, thought to be a possible artefact of the 'type'
of mothers (ahem!) who breastfeed....over-anxious middle class worriers,
was, I remember thinking, the implication. Hmph.

Please don't ask me for refs - but I have a feeling it was in the BMJ and
it was definitely this year : )

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK