From:
William Shine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:18:52 -0500
>Heather wrote:
      "I have come across a couple of babies like this - both belonged to a bfc
>colleague, and they  didn't achieve birthweight until 3-4 weeks without
>anything being wrong, and with plenty of signs that everything was going
>right (apart from that  s...l...o...w weight gain)."

Actually, most of our 8 children were like this.   Especially our now 26 yr. old.   She was 8lbs.4oz. at birth and
2x her birth weight at 1 yr.    She had her own growth curve.  She developted normally, advanced in many
areas.   She did not eat solids until 11 months by her preference.   She nursed like a pro until age 4 3/4.   Our
family dr. used to say that she was the smallest toddler (walked at 10.5 months) he had and the healthiest.
Today, she is 5'1 3/4" .  People around 5' are in her ancestory, so her height is not remarkable.  Some of her
brothers are 6'  and they were slow gainers also.  They also all met or beat developmental markers.   Never
would I take it for granted that someone coming to me with a s l o w gainer was in this pattern, but it does
reassure me at times.    Our d is now in grad school in Chic.  ~  Mary Shine where it is going to snow again...it
is beautiful!