From:
Susan Hergert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 07:16:34 -0800
Sorry it took me so long to get back to everyone about the nipple shield
issue. I am not trying to judge anyone for using a shield in the
hospital under duress. I have done it myself!

Rather, I think we have to follow these clients long term and ask the
question "Did they ever get to successful breastfeeding." In other
words, did mom establish a supply? Did baby gain weight? Were they still
breastfeeding in two weeks?

My anecdotal experience in this area tells me the answer to these three
questions is likely to be NO!

Why? I'm not sure. My suspicion is that, if a shield is a last ditch
effort to save breastfeeding for a mom who is on the fence.....she will
not be willing to do what it takes to bring in a supply and then work
back to breast alone.

I remain very concerned about the hydration status of babies sent home
on shields. I was a perinatal home care nurse for a long time. I know
that when babies don't effectively move colostrum, they get dry. If a
mom is using a shield in the early days I would want her pumping and
supplementing also. If she has the voracity to do all this then...what
was the purpose of the shield?????

Just MHO, Susan

PS. this does not apply to the NICU population where there has been
plenty time to establish a supply. I am talking about babies on shields
at 24-48 hours of age.