From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:09:03 -0500
The problem with an IBCLC suggesting or recommending that mothers use a
used personal use pump (which is one made for one mother to use vs. the
multi-user type pumps often rented and found in hospitals) is that it
could be construed as unethical to recommend the use of a product
against the manufacturers recommendations or instructions. Secondly,
ILCAs Standards of Practice 1.3.2 say that IBCLCs should use universal
precautions, such as gloves, washing hands, etc. to avoid transmitting
germs from one patient to another.

Personal use pumps are considered single user items by the US Food and
Drug Administration. This means they are meant for one mother only due
to possible cross contamination of germs. Medela's pumps are an open
system of tubing which means that the air and milk can mix. You often
see condensation in the tubing, especially with Symphony pumps. Check
the FDA web site about a NICU baby that was harmed by bacteria growing
in this tubing (it was cultured from the tubing). I do not know the web
site address but it is a matter of public record.

I have known of situations where milk and bacteria were found in the
diaphram or motor after it was cut out or pulled out of the bag.

Medela says these are one user items which is the manufacturer's
instructions and voids the warranty for more than one mother to use it.
We may disagree with their recommendation or feel it is foolish or based
on selling more machines. But, the big but, is that as an IBCLC we use
and recommend products accordingly and we use universal precautions to
avoid cross contamination.

Rental or hospital quality pumps are made for more than one user to
avoid cross contamination that the personal use pumps may have problems
with.

And, further more, when moms use a used personal use pump and it doesn't
seem to work they always blame their milk supply! They may be using a
pump that is worn out but they think they have "no milk." I have checked
used personal use pumps that moms say they can't remove milk with and
they were worn out with poor suction. Pumps can be checked with vacuum
gauges to assess appropriate suction levels.

And I realize that what one does as a mother is different from the code
of ethics and standards of practice of IBCLCs. I am writing this for
professional consideration rather than what a mother might choose to do.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC