Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 10:43:48 -0400
Well, I bit the bullet, and called a local group collecting formula for the
hurricane survivors...

I hate talking to people on the phone, because I don't want to come across
as a "breastfeeding fanatic."

Again, I worked the "unsafe formula feeding" angle, and wow! It worked!

1. IBFAN and WHO recommend formula not be donated during emergencies.
2. Dirty water and dirty feeding supplies, plus possibly contaminated
formula means infection, disease and death in formula-fed babies.
3. Babies who are formula-fed require medical supervision, attention and
care. Formula for will be dispensed by medically trained personnel who will
prescribe the correct formula, as well as make sure it is properly prepared
and refrigerated.
4. Since formula-fed babies are at great risk for disease and death, they
must be carefully watched by medical people, and this won't happen if
parents are able to get formula to take home to dirty conditions.
5. Supporting breastfeeding programs would assure the mothers had a safer
way to feed their babies.

Five people later, the coordinator of the event agreed that any further
pleas for donations would not include formula!

Now, the question is, what do they do with the donated formula?? (the lady
suggested that they give it to a local food pantry, to which I agreed, with
the emphasis that if these babies got sick, at least there would be local
medical care, which is not readily available to the survivors, at this
point.)

Best wishes from another beautiful day in the Mid-Ohio Valley,
Heather "Sam" Doak
who was glad to get through this without ranting about breastfeeding....