Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:50:50 EDT
Dear Friends:
    I wonder if some of our concerns about initials have to do with the
difference between licensure and certification. One is essential for
practice, the other is optional. Licensure is a one-shot deal, whereas there
are varying degrees of certification. Licensure is more permanent. As an
illustration, a RN never has to take the exam again (thank goodness!).
Depending on the one's state of residence, the RN has to show evidence of
hours of practice or CEUs. Certification in some cases seems like it is
eternal ( as with some childbirth education programs....just pay the yearly
fee and keep the initials); in other cases, it must be renewed. There aren't
always governing bodies to track down certificants. However one who is
licensed better toe the line (laws, standards of practice) , or risk losing
the license!
    The goal of licensure is to protect public safety; certification's goal
is a recognition of further education.
    This is how things are in the USA; I don't know about other countries.
    Warmly, Nikki Lee