From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:46:14 -0400
The question above is posed, in response to a news item that a father in the
quake/tsunami zone lost his wife and two young children because (the news
article says) the mother had "stopped for milk" rather than proceed to an
agreed-upon checkpoint.

This tragedy is too great, the destruction too vast, the human terror and
heart-wrenching results too harrowing, for us to resort to this sort of
told-ya-so-ing.  I am willing to bet there are women and children who died
in this unfathomable horror because they stopped to breastfeed, too.

There is much work to do to help the survivors, both on the ground (if we
are near and capable) and from afar (with our money donations).  Everyone
who is inclined can offer their prayers.  Breastfeeding women and children
will require the assistance of emergency workers, and those who are exposed
to radiation will need specialized treatment.  I'd like to see the
discussions on Lactnet focus on these far more enlightening (though
sad) topics, than to cyber-finger-pointing at some young man, who has lost
his family, and no doubt his home and livelihood.
--
Liz Brooks JD IBCLC FILCA
Wyndmoor, PA, USA