From:
Connie Neuner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:06:19 -0500
The mother of a 6-wk old has phoned me for an opinion.  She is out-of-state, so I can't see her in person.  Her ped Dr is saying that her baby has a rare allergy to her breastmilk.  Here's her story--What do you think?    Baby born C-sec.  At 10 days pp mom's nipples were cracked & sore, so she was put on antibiotics.  Then yeast & thrush developed, so the pair went on Nystatin; then mastitis diagnosed, so mom took antibiotics 2 more weeks.  Yeast persisted, so mom & baby used Gentian Violet for 5 days.  The entire time baby was supplemented with Similac.  5 days ago  (baby is 6 wks now) Baby had blood in stool and has been very irritable .  After blood in stool appeared Dr. changed formula supp to Nutramagen and then told mom to stop giving breastmilk to baby.  Dr. is saying that baby probably has a rare allergy to protein in mom's milk. ???
I have trouble believing that!  Especially since all those drugs in such a young baby could be causing intestinal irritation.  Mom returns to ped Dr. this am.  Blood in stool is clearing up, so Dr. will likely say it because of stopping breastfeeding.  Mom wants to continue nursing , but is afraid to go against Dr. advice, and she's afraid that yeast & breast problems could re-occur.
 What do you think?